?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 
 
17 July 2012 @ 09:19 pm
No good deed goes unpunished!  
But before I explain that subject line, I would just like to say that today involved the neighbours hiring the world's most pleasant tree lopping company. Which is just as well, because no sooner had I stepped out the front door to get the post, absently pulling the door closed behind me, than the two lads stopped what they were doing and sang out warnings for me to avoid the large amounts of tree that were then littering my front garden.

I replied that I was all over that plan, and thanks for missing the letterbox, rosebush and fence, however, my current issue was that I had just locked myself out.

Which is why five minutes later you could have found me round the side of my house being hoisted up through the little gap in our security screens by a burly stranger in a high-vis vest. Going to the gym has turned out to be totally worthwhile! (And if people continue not to pay on my invoices, I will be able to turn to a life of crime pretty easily.)

Anyway, back to the topic. What I thought was mild tendonitis in my right arm turns out to be some sort of horrible nerve thing, which is caused either by over-use (95% likelihood) or by something ghastly in my neck (5%). I'm going with the over-use as it started back before Easter when I spent weeks sewing several hours a day to make a frock for a friend of mine, then it eased, then flared up badly when I went to work on a couple of new magazines in an office that is not ideally set up for me.

And I didn't even receive a box of choccies for the frock, nor has a single invoice been paid for the mag work despite the first of them being six weeks overdue! 

And who suffers? nursedarry! I still haven't finished her second bloody sock. And also about half the people waiting on comment replies from me as I can't type very well.

My brill physio thinks we will have it licked in a few weeks. Poor right side of my body. This is what happens when taxis slam into you – a lifetime of mank! Say no to running red lights into cyclists, my friends!
 
 
 
prone to mischieftreacle_tartlet on July 17th, 2012 12:07 pm (UTC)
How appalling! Not the hi-vis wearing tree-loppers, obviously, but the rest, you poor darling! I really must unearth that Casanova CD set for you and post it up! ♥
blamebramptonblamebrampton on July 17th, 2012 12:12 pm (UTC)
I should have turned to a life of crime or merchant banking: at least I'd have a bigger travel budget and a happy arm and shoulder!

DO! I plan to listen to Richard Armitage's dulcet tones as a cheer-up aid!

(The tree-loppers were very nice lads and the one who gave me a boost didn't even grunt as he sent me skywards, which I appreciate!)
Fanartist in trainingkath_ballantyne on July 17th, 2012 12:37 pm (UTC)
I'm glad you were able to get back in. *g*

Hope your arm gets better soon.

I finally got a referral to a physio for my neck. Hands have been going numb for weeks, especially the ends of my fingers but it went numb and cold all the way to my elbow the other day.

I was telling him about it and was too busy trying not to laugh at him when he said that it was probably muscle not anything to do with my spine because I was too young for that I don't think I managed to get across the osteoarthritis, slipped disc in my lower back and the fact that my shoulders often sublax and sometimes dislocate. He couldn't do anything other than send me to a physio anyway. I shall tell them.

blamebramptonblamebrampton on July 17th, 2012 12:46 pm (UTC)
I once dislocated my own shoulder, but that was because I was reaching beyond its limits and had very strong muscles, so I am hoping that it's not skeletal for me!

They did X-ray me twice, CAT and MRI my neck after the taxi because they were convinced I must have done something to it after the way I was hit and then bounced across the road, so I can't see how damage to it would have been missed at the time. Fingers crossed!

And fingers crossed for you, too! Your body should cooperate with you more! There are enough external annoyances out there! One day the Baby Boomers will perfect replacement bits, and I'll hold your spot in the line (you can go ahead of me, there will be plenty of left knees and right feet!)
Heatherfaynia on July 17th, 2012 02:45 pm (UTC)
Accommodating people those tree men. Go you climbing back in.
blamebramptonblamebrampton on July 18th, 2012 02:03 pm (UTC)
They were very sweet! And they cleaned up after themselves very nicely! The ones we had in here broke our shed, so I am going to use the neighbours' if we ever need another tree removed!
Nenne: Take carenenne on July 17th, 2012 04:00 pm (UTC)
I hope the horrible nerve thing is easily currable.
blamebramptonblamebrampton on July 18th, 2012 02:03 pm (UTC)
Me too! I think it will be one of those things that just needs a bit of rest, work and specific exercises: that's what it feels like. I'm just a bit structurally unsound these days. Sigh.
Darry Willis: Olivernursedarry on July 17th, 2012 04:18 pm (UTC)
No worries; I'll hop.

Get well soon, BB.
blamebramptonblamebrampton on July 18th, 2012 02:05 pm (UTC)
:-) Physio has said I should be back to fine knitting next week, so I shall go go go! And I would say that at least it's summer, but, well …

Thanks, dear. Stupid skeleton: why can't it be made of adamantium?
Darry Willis: titsnursedarry on July 18th, 2012 05:40 pm (UTC)
Well, my hand-held breast pump gave me tendonitis (the electric one didn't work so well), so we've all had stupid ailments:)

I'll see what I can do about arranging a seekrit hideout/laboratory and getting a hold of some adamantium for you.
blamebramptonblamebrampton on July 19th, 2012 03:02 pm (UTC)
I once broke my own nose in a butterfly race at a swimming carnival, and yet you still win with a breast-milk injury :-)

That would be ace! I could use it to make us hot men afterwards!
Darry Willis: Trainnursedarry on July 19th, 2012 06:13 pm (UTC)
No, that swimming accident wins. I know I shouldn't laugh, but LOLOLOL!!! *uses appropriate icon*
Hot Wheels Hannahhmufson on July 17th, 2012 06:50 pm (UTC)
Also, in a similar vein, I find that when I am an honest person, I lose. Case in point: a couple of years ago, our garage door fell off (narrowly missing the cars). My lovely husband called the insurance company, who told us without a trace of irony that it would have been covered had we backed into it, but just FALLING OFF was not. When he hung up, I told him to go back up the Jeep and call back.

Good luck with the physio - I will pray to the Goddess of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories for you. She and I go way back.
blamebramptonblamebrampton on July 18th, 2012 02:09 pm (UTC)
YES! I hate that! Although I did give a random man $2.50 for the train when the machine wouldn't take his $20 on Sunday, and he let me jump in front of him in the queue, which meant that I made my train with 10 seconds to spare and thus made the mountains train which only goes once an hour, so OCCASIONALLY, the universe says 'have a nice thing for a nice thing …' And his little girl was super cute telling me about the dinosaurs they were going to see at the museum ;-)

And thank you! I have been trying not to take pain killers and anti-inflammatories because they upset my stomach, but I suspect that I will give this up and just add some nice tummy-soothing cake if it doesn't clear up soon.
Jocelyn Lavingroolover on July 17th, 2012 07:14 pm (UTC)
Ouch! Poor you! *rubs it better*
blamebramptonblamebrampton on July 18th, 2012 02:09 pm (UTC)
Thank you! Ooh, that IS nice!
Jaeenchanted_jae on July 18th, 2012 12:16 am (UTC)
You need your own reality show. I'm just saying. I hate reality shows and never watch them, but I would certainly watch yours.

:D
blamebramptonblamebrampton on July 18th, 2012 02:14 pm (UTC)
Each half hour would have:
* 5 minutes of me doing something stupid and having to come up with a practical if ridiculous way of fixing it;
* 10 minutes of chatting with random people, mostly locals, often small children;
* 5 minutes of sport;
* 5 minutes of me looking frantically for something, usually a book;
* 5 minutes of me vacillating between reading something and writing something and failing to finish both.

OH! And lots of cats. SO it would be like your place, with more silly nattering and the occasional spot of climbing or cycling ;-)
Pureblood Princessraitala on July 18th, 2012 11:27 am (UTC)
Your body is certainly holding a grudge abut that being skittled across an intersection business. I hope all it takes is a little physio and doesn't turn out to be anything more major.

It is nice when people are helpful and congrats on being fit enough for lifting and squeezing.

Would it cheer you up to spend an arvo writing chilly invoice reminders? It really is rubbish not to honour invoices in a timely fashion.
blamebramptonblamebrampton on July 18th, 2012 02:19 pm (UTC)
Seriously, you take ONE two-tonne vehicle to the side … Physio seems to have made some changes already, mostly positive. Alternatively, I shall make myself a steampunk exoskeleton and add extra fittings for small books and pens.

Yes, he was a lovely tree lopper, and I do think my commando roll through the window was both elegant and effective. Mostly in aid of not flashing my knickers, truth be told …

In happy news, an invoice has been paid! Enough to live on for a month even after giving two thirds to Mr B and there should be another two through this week. HURRAH!